I'm a working composer for film and television ( http://www.rpmusic.com ) and when I'm not writing, I dedicate a great deal of time "surfing and searching" for not only established music software but more importantly, the not so very known and unique "stuff" that's being created out there - and believe me, there's a ton of stuff that's being invented and created everyday that goes completely unnoticed! In doing work for companies like Disney, I have to be able to create tracks that sound like the real thing because sometimes it's maybe a “mock-up” or in the case of the new stunt show at Disney Hollywood Studios in Orlando and Paris, “Cars 2 - Lights, Motor, Action!” this is one of those that my sequenced track ended up being the final master! These days with the right libraries, you can pull off anything!
I can't tell you how many times I've spent money on a software package, installed it, only to be a bit disappointed because it just didn't do what what I thought it would do. The reviews were all positive but I wish I could've talked to someone that actually used it on a real project and maybe even hear what they've done. I wanted them to tell me, “well, it’s good for this but if you want it to do this it won’t do that...” Well, that where I come in. I use this stuff. I research before I drop the $$$ and I've used enough of these software instruments to pretty much know what will work before I decide to buy them.
In this business, it's all about being a good musician/composer/arranger but also setting yourself a part form the pack and that means developing a sound that no one else has. As I work on projects and I use new sounds, I'm continually asked "what I'm using" and "what do I think." I can appreciate the reviews in the top commercial mags and such but I want to know what someone who actually uses this stuff in a project thinks. Whether it's the established or the unknown software, this is from the real world working musician's point of view! So, as I get new software, use it in real projects, I'll give my opinion both good and bad, the pros, the cons and then post a cue from whatever project I'm working on so you can hear how it performs. Then you can tell me what you think!
So, stay tuned for my first review on a software instrument that I'm totally sold on, the "Evolution Guitar - Strawberry" from Orangetree Samples...this is one that you will definitely want to put in your arsenal!
No comments:
Post a Comment